Qormi extended their lead at the top of the National Hockey League to five points after beating Rabat 5-1, while in the other match Young Stars and Laferla White Hart played out a 2-2 draw.

Young Stars 2-2 Laferla White Hart

After White Hart missed as early chance to go ahead, Young Stars did not take advantage of a penalty corner award on seven minutes.

The game then developed into an interesting tussle and on 19 minutes Jamie Brincat Brockdorff should have put White Hart ahead seeing his shot go agonizingly wide.

Three minutes later Young Stars’ Jamie Mifsud picked his spot only to see his shot scrambled off the line, the goalkeeper well beaten.

When it seemed that White Hart were upping their tempo Mifsud shot Young Stars into a 1-0 lead in the 31st minute with a delightful reverse hit from the top of the D, the half time whistle sounding with Young Stars holding onto their lead.

The second half turned out to be more eventful. In the 42nd minute Jonathan Pace levelled for White Hart pushing home from close range after a prolonged action inside the D.

Just a minute later Luke Borg Costanzi shot Young Stars 2 – 1 ahead when he rifled a bullet into the net from the right side of the D.

White Hart reacted strongly and after a period of pressure, on 63 minutes Keith Laferla pushed the ball over the line to level the score at 2 – 2.

Young Stars were stung into a late rally but were unable to take advantage of three penalty corner awards in the final minutes and the game ended in a two all draw.

Umpires: Manuel Imbroll and Paul Brincat

Qormi 5-1 Rabat

Qormi started the match firing on all cylinders and went 1-0 ahead in the 12th minute when Juan Sarcia netted as a result of penalty corner action.

On 22 minutes they went further ahead when John Williams pushed home a rebound collecting the ball off the Rabat goalkeeper’s pads.

They dominated proceedings from then on and on 25 minutes Steve Tanti, their captain, netted their third goal pushing home from close range. Two minutes later Tanti grabbed his second goal to send Qormi into a commanding 4-00 lead which they held until half time.

Rabat plugged away gainfully and on 47 minutes Kurt Grixti netted to reduce the score line to 4 -1. Four minutes later Qormi won a penalty stroke but Sarcia saw his effort fly wide past the post.

On 65 minutes Isaac Mansueto shot Qormi into a 5-1 lead, the game ending leaving Qormi consolidating their position at the top of the table with a five point lead at the end of the second round.

Umpires: James Mizzi and Shawn Mifsud
  View this article in PDF format Print article
Share |

Navigate through the articles
Monday, January 22, 2018
Search our Site Advertising on MaltaSport