Local Football > Tournaments > BEST TEAMS IN FINAL


Champions Desana and runners up Hibernians made it to the final of the Masters Knock-Out.

However, both teams had to work hard to reach the final. Hibernians had to play two togh games within three days, first beating Zabbar Masters and after Zurrieq Wolves in the semi final.

Champions Desana had to strggle to beat Jival in the semi final. A classic final is anticipated next Wednesday at the end of a sccessfl season by Masters Football (Malta).

In a very intereting game, Hibernians had the better of Zabbar Masters 6-5 in the quarter final. Alan Gaela opened the score for Zabbar and soon after Hibs lost a penalty by Jonathan Buttigieg.

However Malcolm Camilleri scored to make it 1-1 and Buttigieg made amends for the missed penalty by getting a goal for 2-2, after Gilbert Scerri had put Zabbar infront. Before the end of the first half, Stefan Cauchi put Hibs infront 3-2.

One goal advantage was kept till the end after a balanced second half with Stefan Farrugia scoring two for Zabbar and another by Steve Aquilina, whilst Glen Barry, Etienne Bonnici twice scored for Hibs. It was a pity that Zabbar had to bow out after such a positive performance.

In the semi final Hibernians beat Zurrieq Wolves 11-4. However the final score is somewhat misleading as Zurrieq played a good game, especially in the first half, but suffered after losing too many easy chances.

In the second half again they played well but found goalkeeper David Chircop in brilliant form saving several times.

The star for Hibs, who had some established players missing, was undoubtedly Malcolm Camilleri scoring five in all, for in the second thirty minutes, with two byAlan Spiteri, another two by Garett Magri, one by Alex Abdilla and an auto goal.

Robert Magro and Roderick Caruana scored two goals each for Zurrieq. Champions Desana had to produce their best and extra efforts to see off a determined Jival and are ready to win the final and emulate Mqabba who last season won the double. The reslt remained ncertain till the end.

In the other semi final, Desana had a difficult game It was only the sending off of one of Jival’s players that helped them get back in the game and managed also to win a place in the final.

Jival who were playing attractive football had Walid Louini sent out for a second yellow card and continued with only five players after 20 minutes.

From then on Desana took control and in the second thirty minutes they scored 8 goals with no reply. In the first half, Jival were leading 8-2, but the second half was a real disaster and lost a big chance to get into the final.
Final 0 4th May
6.45pm Hibernians vs Desana
  View this article in PDF format Print article
Share |

Navigate through the articles
Thursday, April 26, 2018
Search our Site Advertising on MaltaSport