International Sport > English Football > EMERY CLAIMS FIRST LEAGUE WIN


Unai Emery claimed his first win in charge of Arsenal as Issa Diop's own goal and a stoppage-time Danny Welbeck strike secured a 3-1 Premier League victory over West Ham at Emirates Stadium.

Marko Arnautovic gave the visitors a 25th-minute lead, with Nacho Monreal restoring parity five minutes later.

An entertaining and error-strewn contest continued to flow from end to end but an injury to Arnautovic robbed West Ham of their prime attacking threat before Diop erred.

Welbeck came off the bench to gleefully blast in from close range, ensuring Manuel Pellegrini's fledgling West Ham tenure stands at three defeats out of three.

Southampton 1-2 Leicester City

Harry Maguire struck a stunning injury-time winner as Leicester City won 2-1 away at 10-man Southampton on Saturday.

A drab encounter had looked set to end all square after Demarai Gray cancelled out Ryan Bertrand's fine opener on his 150th appearance for the Saints.

But Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg was shown a second yellow card for a clear dive in the penalty area with 13 minutes remaining and Leicester pushed on in search of a winner.

It arrived from the right boot of England man Maguire in stoppage time as he drilled through a crowded area, beating the rooted Alex McCarthy low to his right.

Huddersfield Town 0-0 Cardiff City

Jonathan Hogg saw red as Huddersfield Town's poor start to the season continued with a frustrating 0-0 draw against Premier League new boys Cardiff City.

Huddersfield's home form proved vital to their survival last term, but the Terriers - who conceded nine goals over the course of their opening two fixtures - lacked the clinical edge to overcome Cardiff's stubborn rearguard in the first Premier League meeting between the two sides.

And just as the hosts had started to click into gear in the second half - Neil Etheridge having denied Steve Mounie an opener - Hogg's rash headbutt on Harry Arter handed Cardiff the impetus with 63 minutes played.

Cardiff could not craft an opening despite their numerical advantage, though, substitute Jonas Lossl pulling off a fine stop to deny Danny Ward a winner.

Bournemouth 2-0 Everton

A thrilling 2-2 draw between Bournemouth and Everton ended in concerning fashion as Michael Keane was taken off on a stretcher wearing a neck brace following a sickening aerial collision in stoppage time.

The scorer of Everton's second goal required oxygen following a mid-air clash with team-mate Idrissa Gueye, forcing a lengthy break in play and overshadowing what had been an eventful clash featuring two red cards.

Keane's injury came after Bournemouth had impressively cancelled out a two-goal deficit, Joshua King converting a 75th-minute penalty and Nathan Ake prodding home an equaliser four minutes later.

Everton had earlier defied Richarlison's first-half sending off for retaliation against Adam Smith to establish what seemed a match-winning cushion courtesy of Theo Walcott and defender Keane.

But, though Smith himself received his marching orders in between that quickfire salvo, the Cherries snapped into action to net twice in four minutes and ensure both teams remain unbeaten after their opening three Premier League fixtures.

Share |

Friday, November 16, 2018
Search our Site Advertising on MaltaSport