International Sport > English Football > TRIPPIER AND KANE FIRE SPURS PAST FULHAM


Harry Kane broke his August Premier League hoodoo and Kieran Trippier netted a fine free-kick as Tottenham defeated Fulham 3-1 at Wembley on Saturday.

Fulham's last outing on this ground - the Championship play-off final in May - ended in promotion back to the top flight and they looked set for another productive afternoon as Aleksandar Mitrovic cancelled out Lucas Moura's fine opener - the Brazilian's first Premier League goal.

But Trippier, scorer of a sublime set-piece in England's World Cup semi-final defeat to Croatia, repeated the feat with 16 minutes remaining to get Spurs back in front.

Much had been made of Kane's previous failure to score a Premier League goal in the opening month of the season but the striker broke that curse with a precise finish to wrap up the points for Mauricio Pochettino's men.

West Ham 1-2 Bournemouth

The early season alarm bells are ringing louder for West Ham after Bournemouth came from behind to win 2-1 at London Stadium on Saturday.

Thrashed 4-0 at Liverpool last weekend, Manuel Pellegrini's side meekly crumbled to a second successive defeat by giving up two soft goals in the space of six second-half minutes.

Callum Wilson cancelled out Marko Arnautovic's first-half penalty with a fine solo effort on the hour and the Cherries' stirring fightback was complete when Steve Cook headed home from a set piece.

Eddie Howe's men, 2-0 winners over Cardiff City seven days ago, have now won four straight Premier League matches for the first time in their history, having signed off from last season with back-to-back victories.

Leicester City 2-0 Wolves

Wolves were left ruing their luck after an own goal and a deflected strike consigned them to 2-0 defeat at Leicester City, who had Jamie Vardy sent off.

The Premier League new boys looked in good shape to claim their first win of the season as they controlled the first half, hitting the post twice through Joao Moutinho and Raul Jimenez.

But Matt Doherty headed into his own net to undo Wolves' early promise, before James Maddison's strike from the edge of the box found a way beyond Rui Patricio with a touch from Conor Coady.

Vardy was shown the red card for a dangerous challenge on Doherty after 66 minutes, but Wolves were unable to make up ground in a second half of fewer clear-cut opportunities.

Everton 2-1 Southampton

Richarlison continued to ingratiate himself to the Everton supporters by scoring in a 2-1 Premier League victory over Southampton at Goodison Park on Saturday.

A fee that could reportedly reach £50million raised eyebrows upon Richarlison's arrival from Watford, but he added to his debut double to give Marco Silva his first competitive win at the helm.

The Brazilian converted a cross from Theo Walcott, who opened the scoring against his boyhood club in the 15th minute following a delightfully worked set-piece routine.

Danny Ings, roundly booed by the home fans, pulled one back for Saints on his first start since arriving on loan from Liverpool, but the visitors were unable to salvage a point.

Southampton's sloppy defence was punished when Leighton Baines sent a free-kick short to Morgan Schneiderlin, who flicked a no-look pass through for Walcott to poke past Alex McCarthy.

Cardiff 0-0 Newcastle

Cardiff and Newcastle both registered their first point of the season in a drab 0-0 draw in the Welsh capital in a missed opportunity for both sides.

The visitors played the final half-hour with 10 men after Isaac Hayden was dismissed, but still had the best chance to take all three points when Kenedy’s 96th-minute penalty was saved by Neil Etheridge.

Share |

Saturday, November 17, 2018
Search our Site Advertising on MaltaSport