International Sport > Boxing > SANTA CRUZ DOESN’T WANT FRAMPTON IN BELFAST

SANTA CRUZ DOESN’T WANT FRAMPTON IN BELFAST

Leo Santa Cruz says he is unlikely to agree to a trilogy bout with Carl Frampton in Belfast over fears that he would be at a disadvantage with the judges.

The pair have gone head to head in New York and Las Vegas over the WBA (super) featherweight title, delivering a pair of 12-round epics.

Frampton beat Santa Cruz in New York last year, handing him a first career loss, but the Mexican returned the favour to regain his belt in January, with both fighters immediately calling for a third bout to settle what has developed into a classic rivalry.

The Northern Irishman has not fought at home since February 2015 and said after his defeat: "I feel like I've come to the States twice now and Leo has said he would do it in Belfast the third time. I hope he's a man of his word. And he can come and stay at my house if he wants!"

However, Santa Cruz has signalled that he could disappoint Frampton, citing fears from his father and trainer Jose.

"My dad is scared that if I go over there, and even if I beat Carl Frampton, the people and the judges are going to be an influence," Santa Cruz told Villainfy Media.

"No matter if I beat him, he thinks that even if I beat him I'll have the victory taken away from me.

"My dad says not to go over there, because going over there would be a really bad decision and, you know, he is right and everything but if I go over there and I get the win and beat him, for all the fans to see that I win, that's all that matters.

"Hopefully they see that I win and they give me that."

Copyright: www.scoresway.com
  View this article in PDF format Print article
Share |

PARKER TARGETING JOSHUA BOUT AHEAD OF WILDER MAYWEATHER: I’M HAPPILY RETIRED
Saturday, November 25, 2017
Search our Site Advertising on MaltaSport