MAYWEATHER READY TO PAY MCGREGOR $15M FOR MEGA-FIGHT
Mayweather, 39, was the one to start negotiations over a mega-fight between him and McGregor. The bout is nowhere close to being finalised but that has not stopped the two from engaging in a war of words for months, with the latter going as far as obtaining a California boxing license and demanding $100million in cash for the cross-combat clash.
Mayweather - who boasts a perfect 49-0 record following his retirement in 2015 - spoke about the negotiations on Wednesday, offering McGregor $15m up front in addition to pay-per-view profits.
McGregor, 28, holds the UFC record for the most lucrative disclosed purse at UFC 202 in August last year.
"We tried to make the Conor McGregor fight," Mayweather told ESPN. "They know what my number is. My number is a guaranteed $100 million. That was my number.
"We are willing to give him $15million and then we can talk about splitting the percentage -- the back end -- on the pay-per-view. But of course, we're the 'A side.' How can a guy talk about making 20 or 30 million if he has never made eight or nine million in a fight."
Mayweather added: "You guys keep hearing all these different rumours about different fighters want to face Floyd Mayweather.
"Everybody keeps talking about Conor McGregor. He's blowing smoke up everybody's a--. Dana White, the UFC -- let's make it happen. Bring him over to the boxing world, and I'll show him what it's like."
There continues to be talk regarding a rematch with Filipino rival Manny Pacquiao but Mayweather wants McGregor.
"Only thing I'm probably interested in is the Conor McGregor fight," Mayweather said. "I'm a businessman, and it makes business sense. I believe in what me and [adviser] Al Haymon talk about every day -- I believe in working smarter, not harder."
|Maltasport.com Copyright @ 2000-2016 | Terms and Conditions | + | design: gi.s|